Sunday, November 16, 2008

La Provence

I was in the newspaper here for the second time in the last month. The first time was right before the election when they did an article about American football and politics in France before Obama was elected. This time is solely about our football team. Below is the article. I know you probably can't read it but it has my name in it and it says I am from Arizona and my name is Dell-Henry Shaffer. Of all the states I could be from......come on!

Here is the crappy translation I did for it:

THE BLUE STARS AIM FOR THE PLAYOFFS
under photo - the Blue Stars will play their (league) championships matches at the Saint Jerome Stadium or Le Mouton Stadium at Saint-Menet. They will welcome the Avignon Warriors, Sunday the 30th.

By Alain Agostini

The rain makes the ground at the Stadium Saint-Tronc unpracticeable. It is rather frequent this season. But that does not stop them. The Blue Stars practice in the parking lot in order to improve their reflexes. The return of the championship approaches. Sunday, this American football club goes to Narbonne, a team promoted with big ambitions. Then, they face Avignon and Nice. The objective of the coaching staff is clear: make the playoffs. In the off-season, there were not a lot of changes in the team, explained the coach Yves Vernette. He is going to need to quickly succeed in bringing the old and new players together. Our objective nonetheless is to reach the playoffs."
The Blue Stars even recorded the signature of a new player directly from Arizona in the United States. In effect, Dell-Henry Shaffer (28 years old) will play wide receiver. "He will be invaluable in our offensive unit," he continued.

Economic student (my friend), Gaetan Herljevic (20 yrs. old), is one of the youngest players on the first team. I have moved up from two other categories before joining the elite formation, recognizes this quarterback. The season is disputedly close-fought. We will need to hang in there. But our team has an interesting potential." The duel face to face against the team from Nice will stay the shock of the year. "It is always a heated derby (rivalry). These two teams can have ambitions." And the Blue Stars won't miss them....

4 comments:

Caroline said...

OH MY GOSH AHAHAHHAAHHAH THIS IS SO GREAT AND SO FUNNY AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you are famous Mr. Arizona hahahahhahahh!

Scott said...

Del I thought you were 29?

That's pretty cool star receiver.

Gaƫtan H. said...

chaih !

The Kilcoynes said...

not a crappy translation. And, you could have been from TEXAS!