Saturday, January 26, 2008

Day ELEVEN in France

I arrived in France on Wednesday, January 16th. Today is Saturday, January 26th. It has been an interesting ten days. I have tried to get adjusted to the different language, culture, and surroundings. The last two days have been super busy and productive. I signed a contract for my new apartment. One bad thing is that my apartment is real close to McDonald's which could pose a problem for me as I might eat there a lot. Hopefully, I can fight the urge. They do have free wireless internet.

Last Saturday was amazing as Katie and I bought tickets and went to the Olympique de Marseille football game against 4th ranked Valenciennes. The crowd was singing the whole entire game unlike American fans. We won the game 3-1 and tied another top team on Wednesday. There is another game tonight against a top team called Caen but I am not sure if I will go again because I may have to go by myself. Plus, it costs 20 euros for the cheapest seats.

Four of us went to IKEA yesterday and that was my first time inside an IKEA. It was pretty cool but I don't like shopping. We had to get everything for our apartments because they are completely empty. IT took us all day.....10am until 6pm. The hardest part was unloading the IKEA truck as we traversed the crazy staircases here taking all the boxes of couches, beds, bookcases, etc. up to our apartments. They don't count the bottom floors as the 1st floor so I live on the 3rd floor here which would be the 4th floor in the States. Katie and Courtney live on the 4th floor (5th floor up).

I still have not played any football as I have not had the time or was not sure where to go. I was able to run from the place where I am staying to my new apartment today and it took me ten minutes. Everything is somewhat close here but the traffic is really tricky. Sometimes people will walk right out in front of cars because they have the right of way. We saw a motorbike accident yesterday and there are a lot of motorcycles around.

We start language learning a week from Monday. That should be fun and help me talk to people. Keep praying. Thanks.

3 comments:

Jenni said...

hey del, it's jenni. i'm very glad to hear things are going well (with the exception of the motorbike accident that you saw.) i've never been to an IKEA either, but i hear they are very magical places.

you know that you are more than welcome to come visit me in germany if you have the time. i know it's probably hectic getting settled in and whatnot, but as soon as you're ready, come visit!

i'm jealous that you've already been to a football game. unfortunately, the family that i'm with is not crazy about the sport like i am, and the town here doesn't really have a lot going on with it. but hopefully i'll find a girls team to play on here soon.

ok keep me posted. i have an au pair blog (the one that i'm commenting from is not it. this is my random writing blog.) if you'd like to read it, it's http://jenniingermany.blog.com (i think.)

there's always facebook too!
have fun del, hope to see you soon!

i'm praying for you and your team.

jimmy (dge.y.m.ie) said...

I'll be praying for ya bro. I'm encouraged by you stepping out in faith and going where people need to hear. Much love.

Jimmy B.

Andrew Paul said...

Del,
I bet that game was SWEEEET!

Im glad you finally were able to make it over there. Hopefully you'll get to play some football soon, and hold it down for the US ha. Hope all is well... do you send out emails or just post on your blog? if you send out emails add me.... white2ap@gmail.com

later bro,
Andrew