Monday, March 08, 2010

Life Inside and Outside of TV

I have always been a fan of Survivor, the tv reality show that is set on a desert island or in the middle of nowhere. I have watched this show since I was in college. It usually involves 20 complete strangers trying to outwit, outplay, and outlast each other for 39 days. Actually, I think I would like to be on the show so we will see if I can apply after my time overseas is done.

This season is named Heroes vs. Villains which means that past players have returned and have been placed on these teams based on how they played the game before. I watched the 4th episode tonight as I cheered for the Heroes team. It was another great episode. The greatest quote was from a guy named Tom on the Heroes team. He is a pretty honest and standup dude. Tonight, he was about to be voted out but convinced someone else to vote for this girl Cirie. His quote was, "Tomorrow we make our apologies, tonight we make our move." Not a great life statement but in the realm of this tv show I thought it was pretty good, almost scripted.

In other news, last night was the Oscars. I have reached the point where I could care less. They live in a totally different world than I do. They also don't recognize great talent. It is a very weird standard by which they judge these movies and people. Look at Jeff Bridges not winning for 40 years....wow. I will keep watching my favorite movies that actually have plots and have some meaning to life, like Star Wars.

Random point - From watching the news here in England, I have noted that they always say someone was "taken to hospital". They never say taken to the hospital or a hospital. It is a weird British thing I guess.

Another news item - There were three deaths in Glasgow, Scotland recently. They had fallen from this high rise building and the news said there was nothing suspicious about it and they were Russian asylum seekers. How is three people falling off a building not suspicious? It made me think of the Jack Johnson song "The News". It goes like this:

"Why don't the newscasters cry when they read about people who die?
At least they could be decent enough to put just a tear in their eyes
Mama said
It's just make believe
You cant believe everything you see
So baby close your eyes to the lullabies
On the news tonight"

Very sad things on the news...I'm glad to know where our hope lies.

No comments: