Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Music Moves Me

Ever since I was a little kid, music was a big part of my world. Part of this might be my parents fault. They used to have music on a lot in our den. Jimmy Buffett was a big hit in our house as was others like James Taylor, Van Morrison, and the Beatles. When I was in middle and high school, I even had my parents old records in my room with a record player. I remember listening to Led Zeppelin and especially an old Cheech and Chong record called Big Bambu (comedy).

Unfortunately, I have never been much of a musician. I never really learned an instrument other than a recorder and playing hot cross buns. One summer on Beach Project in Florida, I tried to learn guitar and ended up learning 3 chords or so. Recently, I had the thought to take guitar lessons while I am here in England. I want to be able to try and make music and not just listen to it. I need more outlets for my creativity. My friend Craig lent me his guitar that he doesn't use, or maybe it's his sister's. I don't know. But, I hope to start taking lessons next week with a teacher here in Surrey. I will update you on my progress.

It is so weird how I am always on a search for new music. I prefer finding music that people don't really know about. Sometimes it takes music a while to grow on you but sometimes as soon as you hear it, it grabs you or makes you want to move. I am not saying I can dance. One example of this is one Christmas when my brother gave me the first Jack Johnson CD. I had not heard of this guy but he would turn out to be a pretty big deal.

Lately, I have come across some up and coming bands and want to tell my friends about them. These are bands like Samuel Harfst, The Enemy Lovers, Paper Tongues. I saw Paper Tongues in Charleston as they opened up for Flyleaf. They were amazing. Devin, guitarist, is the cousin of a friend of mine. Their music was so positive and moving. I was gripped. Their first album just came out on iTunes today and I would highly recommend you buy it. I think it is $7.99. Below are some videos of these bands. Hope you enjoy!

Also, LET ME KNOW if you want to help me find new music and to share music suggestions back and forth. It will always be a big part of my life. God is glorified by good music and it gives us a way to praise Him. Music is good if it builds up and doesn't break down.

Samuel Harfst - Run to You (from Germany)


The Enemy Lovers - (Asheville, NC)


PAPER TONGUES - (Charlotte, NC)

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Um... please keep me updated on your unique music finds... I love new music, and I'm itching for some new stuff. :)

Have you heard of Steve Moakler and Ben Rector? They are both real good. Very chill. :) Huge fan of those guys.