Thursday, September 11, 2008

Today is September 11th

Today we started with some university student work for the new school year that is about to start next week.  We went to one of the campuses today and are going to another campus tomorrow.

Later this afternoon, I was watching the 9/11 ceremonies on CNN.com.  They were reading off all of the peoples' names who died on September 11, 2001.  It was really emotional.  After that, I was thinking about how I miss America and am glad to be an American.  What could I do here in France?  The closest thing to the United States is the consulate here so I bought some flowers and put them in front where a few other people had done the same and said a short prayer.  It was the least I could do to remember those who died.  

Afterwards, I took a long walk.  I saw all the kids getting out of school and mingling around in packs and blocking some traffic.  These high school kids were about to get in a fight.  It is weird that I have seen almost two serious fights in the last couple of days.  When you get people from so many different backgrounds, it can add some friction to the landscape.  Sometimes you wish there is something you could do but it is hard to do when you are not from here and can't speak the language fluently.  It could possibly make it worse and turn it on you. 

Now, it looks like Hurricane Ike is heading towards Houston, Texas.  I know a lot about hurricanes and in ten days or so will be the 19th anniversary of Hurricane Hugo hitting Charleston...  I hope my friends in Houston get out and don't have a  lot of damage.

I found an American football team here and emailed one of the people associated with it.  I am going to probably go to practice tomorrow night and see what it looks like and if I might be able to play.  

Thanks for reading......

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Beautifully said, Del...




ps.....did you say you might get to play like football football??? that is sooooooo fun!!!!!!!! hope you get too!!!!!!