Friday, August 12, 2005

Restaurant Life

I would like to thank the gentleman who left me $1.50 on a forty dollar bill tonight. He wrote on the bottom of the credit card receipt..."Don't Forget Extra Cheese." What a bummer. I brought him the extra cheese a few minutes later. So, that was his excuse for not tipping me sufficiently. I was getting 10% tips all night. I just don't get it. Our restaurant even gives them free chips and salsa. But evidently there is this mindset that because it is Mexican you don't have to tip as much. I really don't think people know that we get paid $2.13 an hour and that is so they can take taxes out.

Ok, people! If you can't afford to tip at least 15%, don't buy fajitas or steak. Buy something cheaper. If you call yourself a Christian, you better tip well. And try and be nice to your waiter. Don't just order them around or treat them like we do all food service people. These people are usually trying to pay their bills. They are not rich. I don't even see how they can take it working there every day or night and even working doubles most days. I got a chance to talk to a gay guy, a Muslim, and a Jew the other night while I was working. Where else can you get out of your comfort zone.

That is one reason I would rather seminary students not work on campus. Some students spend all of their time on campus in the BUBBLE. How is that going to prepare you for ministry? Don't sit in your room on your computer all day! Even if you are reading books a lot of the time that doesn't compare to spending time with non-Christians and building relationships. If you can follow all my rambling at 3am more power to ya.

8 comments:

Michael and Amber Vestal said...

Del,

Thanks for sharing. I also appreciate your own poem below.

MV

Donna S. said...

YES.

Lenny said...

Del, please don't take this as a rebuke but rather as encouragement. Be thankful for these hardships, as they are the fires by which God refines us (Romans 5:3-5; 8:28-30, etc). Be thankful for the job and that God is so graciously providing for you. I agree with you in your assessment (I usually order really cheap food so that I can afford to give a decent tip). But let this be an opportunity to show the grace of God. I pray that you will never have such a poor night of tips again.
Grace and peace, brother.

Kristin said...

del- I totally understand. I think people just don't know. They don't know waiters are students who don't get a paycheck but are surviving on their guests whims. I loved being a waiter but sometimes it did get really frustrating! Press on...better nights will come!

Russ said...

Man, you are speaking it right! I have been a server at 2 different restaraunts in my lifetime. I totally feel your pain. I believe that serving is a job that every human being needs to do at least once in life. It is hard to find a more humbling job.

Complimentary chips and salsa?? That is what I love about sit-down Mexican restaraunts! Where do you work?

Laura said...

Del, what a great opportunity for you to be a witness for Christ. Praise God.
But it's sad that pretty many of my friends who work as servers say that Christians are the worst tippers around, and that some will leave Gospel tracts in lieu of a tip! Some folks need to read the book of James, evidently!
I pray God blesses you with the money and resources you need!

Lindie Wolf said...

Hey! I moved to blogspot like all the cool kids too :)
As far as your job, just know that you will always have the appreciation of Texans everywhere - because we NEED our enchiladas. The $1.50 tipper obviously has no apprecation for Mexican food. P.S. When's the cookout?

leslie said...

AMEN Del!!!