Sunday, February 24, 2008

Getting A Lay of the Land?



We returned to Marseille on Friday afternoon after a week in the countryside around Carcassonne.  It was a good week but it also felt good to be back.  While driving in the city back to my apartment, I actually kind of felt like I was home.  Weird, huh?  Friday night I just stayed in after I got a pizza from my new buddy Fabien.  I am trying to meet people around where I live especially when it comes to food.  Then, that night I watched one of my favorite movies, THE POWER OF ONE.  A must see.  Saturday, I ran down to the beach (La Plage) around 3:00 and found the big football game about to start.  
I walked straight up to them and they motioned me on.  But, when a few of them found out that I was American they sent me over to the other team.  I started out in defense and did pretty good.  The other team had two short guys that were speedy and had good ball skills.  So, I did a pretty good job when I decided to mark one of them man on man.  When I tried to take the ball myself up the field though I would usually lose it because the field had tons of holes and looked like it had been hit by mortar fire.  It could have been better but I was just glad I got to play.  Thursday, I hope to go out to practice with one of the local teams and see if they will let me join them.  After an hour and a half, I walked off the pitch next to the Mediterranean.  Amazing view too by the way!  As I was walking back to Prado, two girls started whistling at me from behind and I just kept walking but it turns out it was my teammates Katie and Courtney.  I had no idea they had been there watching me.  Then, last night we went to go see the movie Juno here in English with French subtitles.  It was a pretty good movie but the French did not laugh as much as we did because I don't think everything translated as well for them.
Today, we went to a Evangelical church here.  It felt really good to be there.  A lot of them greeted us.  After it was over, we got to talk with a lot of people.  Tomorrow, we go back to language school and get back into the swing of things.  Wednesday, we are going to try and check out the university and opportunities to do English clubs.  Thanks for your prayers and support.  God bless.

3 comments:

Brittany said...

Del - good on ya' for getting out there with the gents and showing them your fancy footwork :) It does my heart good to read about you and the gals getting out and embracing your city and peeps. Keep it up!

The Kilcoynes said...

Here's a big hug, Delford!

Jolene said...

awwh that's sad they didn't want you on their team cuz your american, I'm glad you showed 'em up