Friday, June 27, 2008

Supreme Court Decision on Guns

I was born in a quiet and safe city in South Carolina.  I also have not been hunting before although some people in my family are hunters.  For some reason, guns scare me.  I remember when I was in high school working at a restaurant when one of the cooks took us outside and showed us his gun that he had in his trunk and let us hold it.  It scared me.  This new ruling by the Supreme Court does not sit well with me and was barely passed by a 5-4 vote.  

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=91942478&ft=1&f=1003
I like 1939 and 1993.

The Second Amendment is quite tricky if you read it.  There are some, including me, who think that it has more to do with a well regulated militia.  That is the subject of the sentence.  I feel like we are very well advanced in society.  We have military and police and their job is to keep us safe.  Other than hunting, I don't see a need to own a gun.  And they could keep the guns at the hunting club.  How does the idea of a free society and guns come together?  I am sorry if you don't agree.  Just because I am Republican doesn't mean I have to support the NRA.

The NRA and the gun companies and so many other groups are behind most of this lobbying.  For a brief second, don't think about yourself and what you think you should be able to do.  Think about those people who have died from guns.  Do you think if they owned a gun that would have helped the situation?  The main argument I have read goes along these lines...."if the criminals have guns and the rest of us don’t, that’s not a good situation."  That is quite the argument there.  

Well, this is my opinion that I feel very strongly about.  It may be the case that if I was raised in a family where we went hunting all the time that I would feel differently but I am not sure.  I remember years ago watching a movie on television where two kids were checking out their father's gun and one kid accidently shot his friend.  That really sticks with you at a certain age.

One last thing:  Would Jesus own a gun?  Sorry if it sounds cheesy.  But really, would he?    

I am sorry if you do not agree with me.  Please respond if you feel it is appropriate but with questions and logic.  Is there any Scripture at all that applies to this type of discussion?
see article below for more background

from Don Badwin, Associated Press Writer - posted on yahoo.com
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080627/ap_on_re_us/gun_ban_reaction

"But all the talk about greater freedoms for gun owners doesn't begin to explain what the ruling means in Chicago, which has seen a recent spate of gun violence.

Nine people were killed in 36 shootings during one weekend this spring. The next week, five people were found shot to death inside a South Side home.

Chicago Public Schools officials say 27 students have been killed by gunfire since September.

Pamela Bosley lost her 18-year-old son two years ago, when a bullet struck him as he helped a fellow student unload instruments outside a South Side Church.

"If you didn't have the guns, we'd still have our children," she said.

Annette Nance-Holt, whose 16-year-old son was killed on a city bus last spring when someone sprayed bullets inside it, was livid with the court's decision.

"I'm still trying to figure out who we are more in love with, our children or our guns," she said. "It's crazy. I'm safer being a deer knowing people are hunting you."

Daley was also troubled by the ruling.

He predicted more violence and higher taxes to pay for extra police if his city's gun restrictions are lost.

"It's a very frightening decision," said the mayor, who routinely speaks out against guns, as he did after the fatal mass shootings at Northern Illinois University and a suburban women's clothing store. "We believe every mayor will be outraged by this."

District of Columbia Mayor Adrian Fenty responded with a plan to require residents of the nation's capital to register their handguns. "More handguns in the District of Columbia will only lead to more handgun violence," Fenty said.

San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom said the ruling "just flies in the face of reality. You just wish the Supreme Court could spend a week in public housing and then come out with this decision. It's very easy and comfortable to stand there with security guards and metal detectors and make these decisions."

Back in Chicago, Nance-Holt agreed.

"They live in safe neighborhoods," she said. "They don't have this. Until it's their family member, they're going to keep voting that way.""

1 comment:

jimmy (dge.y.m.ie) said...

Del, it's been awhile, but this post caught my attention. I'm an avid NPR fan and also don't think that most Americans need guns.

Guns for the most part suck and should be done away with.

Hope you're great!