Hey, have you ever seen this movie. It is A-mazing. I really love it. My whole family loves it. I like how the father, who is a Presbyterian minister raises his kids and how the two brothers relate to one another. It reminds me of me and my brother. Even though I have never been a fisher, this movie makes me want to go to Montana and fly fish. Possibly even raise my kids there where we could be surrounded by such wonder.
Paul is played by Brad Pitt and Norman is played by Craig Sheffer.
Paul: Norm, what do you want to be when you grow up?
Norman: Minister I guess or a professional boxer.
Paul: Do you think you could beat Jack Johnson. I think you could. I 'd lay a bet on it.
Norman: what are you going to be?
Paul: A Professional fly fisherman.
Norman: There's no such thing.
Paul: There isn't?
Norman: No!
Paul: Hmmmm. I guess a boxer.
Norman: Not a minister?
Paul: Ha ha.
Norman talking about growing up in Montana.
"It was a world with dew still on it. More touched by wonder and possibility than any I have since known."
Norman in a letter to the girl he met named Jessie.
"Jessie, As the moon lingers a moment over the Bitterroots,
before its descent into the invisible, my mind is filled with song.
I find I am humming, softly, not to the music but something else.
Some place else. A place remembered. A field of grass where no one
seems to have been except the deer. And the memory is strengthened
by the feeling of you, dancing in my awkward arms. Norman."
Saturday, October 29, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
OH MY GOSH!!! DEL!!! I am completely PSYCHED that you posted about this movie!
You don't understand...this has been one of me and my dad's FAVORITE movies since it came out. Both my father and I have been fly-fishing since I was 9 years-old (he always called me his "fishing buddy").
Since he's passed away, whenever I find myself really missing him, I can just pop in this movie, and it reminds me of all our father-daughter trips.
Wow... I'm gonna have to try and watch it this weekend, I think. YAY! Del, I'm so glad you like this movie, too. :)
That last quote in the letter from Norman to Jessie...wow. I cannot believe I have never heard of it. I will defintely have to check into once I get these papers done.
I love that movie, and I especially love the letter Norm writes to Jesse. I just can't imagine forming words together like that, let alone having a guy write like that to me.
~Leslie
Ok, truth be told. I actually wrote that letter to Jessie....ok I didn't but what if I had. From now on, I am just going to post about movies that girls like so I can get good responses like this. Brownie points from girls are always accepted!
I should have a group over to watch the movie sometime.
YES, YOU SHOULD!!!!
I can bring all my fly-fishing pictures and my rod and my reel and my line and my dry flies and my wet flies aaanndd...
Oh, wait...
It's at home...
BUT I CAN GO GET IT! (It would be a GREAT party!)
Pray about it. =)
del shaffer, what kind of a man likes a brad pitt movie... and quotes it?! i am reminded of michael gardner in high school, goin to see legends of the fall on premiere night "to pick up chicks." and he stayed single...
i say, unless you really feel the imagery and follow the deep metaphors inlaid by the cinematographers, director, and screenplays in that film, you might want to stick to smiling and opening doors for the ladies. now i personally think you have some depth to you, but from the other comments offered your blog, you may have to proove me right.
as for montana, the land of july and winter, it is a place of inpalpable grandeur (my cousins have been flying fishing there as well). sell your car and go. i'll come with, if you don't mind stopping at a second hand store. i'll need a raspberry beret.
I actually watched the trailer online tonight and it does look like a great movie. Perhaps I can convince Donna and Jen to watch it when we get a study break (though a study break is looking highly unlikely right now).
BTW, you posted on my blog and asked me how I edited those interesting photos on the riverfront. Jump back over to my blog and I actually gave you info on how you can get the photo software for free.
I'm crazy protractor face...my face ain't normal! it's a darn protractor! My vision may be impaired, but I still see you've got candy...I want that candy!
Happy Halloween!
Yeah that's a good idea Del. Since your poems don't get all the chicks, use someone else's. I see you've figured out how it works. Congratulations.
This is cheaper than asking girls specifically for dating advice.
sorry i lambasted you. it was fun to do, but when it turned out you love the movie, the effect was lost. i still say you're sneaky...
Certainly one of my favorite pics. Top 20 for sure.
Post a Comment