I was just thinking about college and also just about how people in the whole drinking scene relate to each other. In some ways it is related to a religion. They all come together around drinking and encourage one another to drink and do certain other things. I don't want to get to deep into explanation of this. But, I definitely see how these people come together and encourage one another in their drinking and show some sort of false love for one another. They have these stories that they add to their book of crazy party stories that they can always talk about when they see someone else that was there. If you stop and think about it, it really doesn't make sense. It is the college culture. It is just a continuation of high school without the parental control. I didn't get too deep into these things before I was a Christian, but I have been around it in high school and college. I saw kids at the Citadel that felt like they had to drink. Because they were so messed up by the week and being a knob, they would drink until they had alcohol poisoning. Then, a year or a few years after college, people feel like they have to grow up and some even start to think about going to church because they are tired of that scene they have been around. It really is fake though. People just want to be accepted. Even more than that, people just want relationships. God made us this way. They want people that they can be themselves around. Thus, partying does not fill this because you become someone you are not when you are drinking. They all feel so uncomfortable about themselves and feel like they have to get drunk in order to be outgoing and meet people.
College can be a time where some people know that God is working in their lives and respond to that or it can be a time where you lose yourself in your college identity. Am I popular? I will admit that I have always wanted to be popular. I am the total opposite of that now. I know a lot of people here but don't have very many deep relationships that I would like to have. So, Big man on campus? or servant of the Lord? I am really thankful I got to attend a school like the Citadel and God put people in my path that loved him and cared that I knew that Jesus died for me. So, I want to pray for all these people that I know who are in college right now and are having to battle within themselves over whether they are going to flow with college culture or live for Jesus Christ and stand for something that changes lives and will ultimately bring us face to face with Him.
Saturday, October 01, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Del, I have never seen this issue explained as thoughtfully or as honestly. Thank you for a really great post.
After attending a secular institution for five years as well, I think your observations are DEAD ON. My brother, Eric, is currently also attending a secular, public school; and, as a committed believer, his heart breaks everyday for the "brothers" he encounters on campus every weekend. He currently participates with a core group of guys in his organization to reach the lost for the Lord, and actively engages them in different ways to relationally expose them to the love of Jesus.
College is really a climactic point in time for several students. I think that's one of the reasons I admire campus ministry so much. It's such an amazing opportunity to expose to an otherwise oblivious population that we, indeed, ARE created for community - but a deeper, richer, truly everlasting fellowship that goes beyond the self-destructing binge drinking and bongs. (It was where I TRULY started to learn what it means to be a disciple of Christ).
That does, at the same time, expose our responsibility as believers to take that community TO the campus. And that, once again, reveals yet another dividing line in the Christian faith: are we willing to go for God?
Thanks, Del. Good post. You've got us thinking, again. :)
i would have to totally agree. i have always said that college is when you go one way or the other. you either choose to follow God full on, or go the other route. it is the first time you get to decide what you believe on your own without your parents influence, or anyone making you go to church. and you are so right, people want to be accepted. i think that every time i see people drinking. i doubt many even want to do it anymore, it's just that they have become so accustomed to that lifestyle. and what is sad, is that i am learning in my addictions class in seminary that many addicts want to quit, they just can't, and many times it started out this same way. i also agree with the wanting to be popular, but again that is our desire to be known. and again God made us that way too. but i realize more and more that while I want to be known on CIU's campus, I am more thankful for the few relationships that are more concrete, even though those are few and far between. so there's my take on it.
Post a Comment