Monday, May 26, 2008

Being So Close to Cannes,

I decided to have a little film festival of my own.  Well, okay, I watch a lot of movies anyway but I thought it was clever to have a reason to watch a few this weekend.  If you did not already know, I am  what you may call a movie buff.  Ever since I was a kid, growing up on an island, we always used to go to the tiny Island Video on the weekends to pick a movie for the family. When I started to get older, I became pretty good at selecting quality movies for the fam so soon I started to take pride in it.  While I was in college, I was also able to be an extra in the movie "Chill Factor" starring Cuba Gooding, Jr. and Skeet Ulrich.  Then, I was able to be on the set of The Notebook while they were filming on my street.  I was also inspired by JonnyK after reading his film reviews and thought I would update you on a few I watched.

WHAT HAPPENS IN VEGAS - starring Cameron Diaz and Ashton Kutcher
I was a little skeptical about this movie.  It doesn't have the best of monikers telling people they can go to Vegas and do whatever they want because it stays in Vegas.  In this movie, we see what happens in Vegas comes back home with you.  First, I was excited to see Floyd from 30 Rock in the movie as Cameron's ex-boyfriend.  It turned out to be a good movie that has a solid theme for us to learn from.  There are some great scenes with Cameron and Ashton and how they are having to interact with each other and that sometimes resembles a war.  It reminded me of that old Michael Douglas movie, War of the Roses.  

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Of course, being a guy, I used to love Indiana Jones.  I was enthralled by the adventures to far away lands.  It actually added to my desire to travel.  Those were some great movies back in the day.  I remember Indiana especially being thrown into the pit of snakes and the other one where he walked on the imaginary steps before choosing the right cup.  The other guy "chose poorly" but Indiana "chose wisely!"  

This movie was great overall.  Some aspects of the story I did not like but the movie lived up to its bill.  There is not much you can do with the story now.  Indiana Jones was a man of an older era fighting the Nazis and other guys who pulled hearts out of peoples' chests.  Come on, who does that.  Remember them eating the monkey brains.  Wow!  Such great memories.  Yet, I am not left with any great scenes to remember like that.  The casting was well done.  There was an appearance by the janitor from Scrubs which was cool.  

Robin Hood: Men in Tights - Mel Brooks film starring Cary Elwes, Dave Chappelle, and others.
I had not seen this movie in quite a long time.  It is just as hilarious today.  Dave Chappelle is pretty funny alongside Cary Elwes (The Princess Bride).  My favorite character in this movie is Blinkin', who works for Robin of Loxley's family.  He is blind and has some of the funniest lines in the film.  We need more films like this that make fun of stuff but aren't completely stupid but clever.  

Lars and the Real Girl - starring Ryan Gosling (Remember the Titans, The Notebook)
I have not watched this movie as of yet.  It is sitting in my iTunes rental folder.  If all goes well, I will watch it tomorrow night.  I think Ryan is a great actor and this movie is getting good reviews.  Jonny gave it a 5 out of 5 and it is one of the top rentals on iTunes.  I watched the trailer and it looks very interesting.  I love movies that have an original idea.  A lot of the movies that Hollywood is making now are sequels and such.  They also re-make a lot of old movies with present day actors......A LOT.  I will let you know what I think of this one in a day or two.


I decided to lay low this weekend.  It was quite a busy week last week.  I had four days of French, played a lot of soccer, and was able to hang out with a bunch of people that I have met here so far.  This is our last week of French class with our tutor, Monique.  We have learned so much.  The first two weeks of June will have me going to Paris and then Rome.  More to come on those two trips this week........

4 comments:

Caroline said...

oooooooooooo this was such a good post!!!!! so much to say.....

1. vegas movie......it was really funny to me and did you watch the 2nd scene during the credits. leanne and i were laughing so hard like 10 minutes after the thing was over. ashton was soo gross at times hahahah

2. have not see indiana jones new one yet but this is a family FAVORITE!!!!!! ooo the monkey brains...love it. sister and I use to play out the part when the guy wants to pull out his heart while we were in the pool hahahah that seems strange now to me but we loved it!!!!!

3. lars....have not seen it but think it looks interesting..

SHUT UP SHUT UP YOU WERE ON THE SET OF THE NOTEBOOK OOOOOOOOOOOOO NO WAY!!!!!!!!! im jealous!!!!!

oh i just love movies too!!!! sister worked a video rental one summer and we would watch every movie by a certain actor!!! so fun!!!!

Jolene said...

hey I agree with you about indy there were a few scenes that were kinda ridiculas like Shia Labeouf swinging on the vines and I was a little dispapointed with the ending but it was pretty good. have you seen Prince Caspian yet? I say it in spanish which is just not the same but still I thought it was a good adaptation. Btw I agree about spanish verses french. I took some frencha and the pronuntiation is confuseing

JonnyK said...

Hey Del, love the new post, i am honoured that I have inspired you with the movie reviews.

You gotta see Lars and the Real Girl, i just bought it cos i loved ot so much, its such a beautiful film about commuinity and acceptance/love.

Take care man laters JK

hayden said...

Indiana Jones, yes!!! That was the first movie my mom ever took us to at the theater! Scary for kids I assure you!

Have you ever seen Funny Farm with Chevy Chase? By far my favorite, and the funniest movie of all time!!! I love "que the deer" hahahahaah

We're off to Destin for a vaca w/ Jeff & Lori...see you later!

~Julia