Thursday, May 22, 2008

Manchester United win!


(Be sure and check out my last two posts as well:  Praying for Chapman Family with link to their blog and also the total opposite to that being the video of old man laughing.  Thanks.)

Wednesday night was amazing!  When I was growing up, I had a love/hate relationship with soccer which I will now refer to as football.  Unfortunately, I did not and was unable to devote the time to get better at football.  Due to my brother's travels and no coaches or clubs giving me a chance, I never really had the energy and encouragement to get better.  

While in college at The Citadel, I started following Manchester United more than I had before.  The main reason I watched them was due to one player: David Beckham!  He is/was the biggest celebrity in the whole world.  David can put (pass) the ball wherever he wants to put it.  Since then, I have followed him as he has moved from Manchester United to Real Madrid and from Madrid to the Los Angeles Galaxy of Major League Soccer.  BUT, I never stopped loving the first team he played for.  After he left, I stuck with my team.  I grew to love the play of Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, and especially Ruud van Nistelrooy (who would leave for Madrid as well and supposedly has a house in Charleston).  

Fast Forward
May 21, 2008 - Moscow, Russia
Manchester United have just won the Barclays Premier League by two points over Chelsea.  Now they face Chelsea in the hugest club tournament in the world.   It was amazing.  I had 4 friends over to watch the game.  We borrowed a projector and got to see it BIG.  

Cristiano Ronaldo scored early in the first half on a beautiful header.  Then, Frank Lampard had a crap goal when the ball bounced off Rio Ferdinand's back to Lamps' feet.  After 120 minutes of football, they went to penalty kicks.  Just before penalty kicks, Didier Drogba was sent off with a red card for slapping our defender Vidic.  

Penalty kicks
Ronaldo missed his and Chelsea had the chance to win.  Captain John Terry slipped and his shot hit the post.  We had a lifeline.  One of my heroes, Ryan Giggs, scored his penalty before our goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar ("Superman") saved their penalty kick and give us the CUP!  

Amazing!  This is one of the greatest things in my history of fandom.  What a great season!  I look forward to seeing a game live next season and touring Old Trafford.  

Note:  Giggs passed Sir Bobby Charlton's record of 758 appearances for Manchester United to become the club's all-time leader in appearances!


1 comment:

hayden said...

That's great!!! I love it when my team wins, it's such a fun feeling!

Have a great weekend!