Monday, May 19, 2008

Driving in France


On Sunday, I spent some time learning how to drive stick-shift for the first time ever.  I had tried this feat one time before with my grandfather but to no avail.  I have driven automatic ever since I got my permit years ago.  I had a Volvo station wagon, then a Ford Escort station wagon, and finally a Jeep Cherokee Sport.  All of the aforementioned were automatics and I saw no need to learn how to drive standard. 

I wish I had learned.  The second largest city in France is not the best place to learn how to drive standard.  First, I practiced in a parking lot next to IKEA before hitting the road.  I went through some round-abouts and stalled out a couple of times.  One old lady got really mad at me which was very embarassing.  All in all it went okay, or so they tell me.  The reward for all this torture was KFC...yep, Kentucky Fried Chicken.  It was sooooo good.  

3 comments:

Caroline said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

or

M-O-V-E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

would be the only words coming out of my mouth....at a very loud volume if i had to drive a stick shift in that pic!!!! NO WAY JOSE WOULD I DO IT. WAIT A MINUTE, I CAN'T EVEN DRIVE A STICK SHIFT...SO OF COURSE I WOULDN'T DO IT!!!!!

YOU ARE CRAZY!!!!

hayden said...

HAHA, that's a great story...the pic is reminding me of that National Lampoon's where they drive round and round and round...is that in France?

haha

hayden said...

Hey buddy! I hate I missed your call the other week. I will know to answer weird numbers now, so try again when you have enough francs. Wish I could call you, though.

I am great over email, so hit me up if you get lonely.

-hayden