Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Religious Beliefs and the Supreme Court

The following comes from David Espo, AP Special Correspondent.

Over and over, he assured lawmakers he would be guided by his understanding of the facts of cases, the law and the Constitution, not by his personal views.
"My faith and my religious beliefs do not play a role," added Roberts, who is Catholic.
"I will be my own man," he said later in a daylong session that Republicans said had firmly established his prospects for swift confirmation.



I will admit that I don't know much about the Supreme Court and the Judicial System. Yet, I know that my faith in Jesus Christ does play a role in everything I do and every decision I make. If I was up for Supreme Court justice, I guess I would get voted down because I would not be able to say otherwise. It is somewhat amazing to think about Roe vs. Wade which many Democrats could possibly be overtturned if Roberts becomes Chief Justice. The famous woman that was the plaintiff as Roe is now a Christian and was pushing to have the decision reversed now that she believes abortion is wrong. Here is the link about Norma McCorvey or "Jane Roe." http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/1998/roe.wade/stories/roe.profile/

1 comment:

Michael and Amber Vestal said...

Of course, I agree with you about our faith in Christ effecting everything we do. But what I hope Roberts is getting at here is that his role as a judge is not to enforce what he believes to be right and wrong. If our justices are to be sincere and legitimate in their work, they must make decisions as the Constitution and the law stand. What we need are not conservative Christian judges who seek to legislate conservative instead of liberal policies, but judges who understand that AS JUDGES they are to interpret the law as it applies to particular cases, each with its particular circumstances. Whatever rulings come from that approach will protect the rights that the Constitution intended to protect, but it would not make new laws there.